Saturday, October 10, 2009

More on Online Publishing

I just found out this morning that my essay "Positioning," which I mentioned in a previous post, was nominated for Dzanc Books' Best of the Web 2010 anthology. With the rise of online publishing, there's been a corresponding movement to highlight the quality of much of the material that's appearing in the online format; the goal is to chip away at the persistent bias that treats print publishing as the gold standard and online publishing only as its illegitimate offspring. I'd be the last to knock print publishing--I owe my passion for reading and writing, as well as my career as a teacher, to print, and the stories and essays being published in print journals are often astonishing--but I'm thankful for efforts to draw attention to the real accomplishments of those writers who are publishing online as well as, or instead of, in print. And of course, I'm thrilled to see my own work among those being recognized! Thanks to Terrain.org and its publisher, Simmons Buntin, for the nomination--and keep your fingers crossed for me. Final selections for the anthology will be announced in January 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment